Tragedy was averted in Highland Park today by the early morning piercing noise of smoke alarms.
The Los Angeles Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire 4:26AM on December 30, 2015. Firefighters arrived to the 100 block of S Av 54 to find a 2 story wooden-frame, balloon construction home with fire showing. A challenging fight ensued, with firefighers forced into a defensive operation due to the risk of collapse of the building. 55 firefighters, under the leadership of LAFD Central Bureau Commander Deputy Chief Phillip Fligiel, achieved a knockdown in 2 hours and 20 mins. One adult male was treated for smoke inhalation and transported in fair condition. One male firefighter suffered a minor ankle injury.
The fire started in a back bedroom on the first floor. An unattended candle ignited clothes and the situation quickly became life threatening. Fortunately, smoke alarms woke the eight occupants (seven adults and one minor) which provided them the time to escape without significant injury.
This incident could have resulted in the loss of multiple lives which brings home the importance of two safety messages:
- NEVER leave candles burning unattended. Consider flameless candles as an alternative.
- ENSURE your home has functioning smoke alarms in every room. If you need help acquiring or installing a smoke alarm, you can get it free from www.mysmokealarm.org.
Dispatched units: E12 T12 E212 RA12 E55 RA55 E201 T1 EM1 BC2 E11 T2 E202 E3 CM22 BC1 RA1 RA47 EM11 AR1 CM21 AR11 EA1 RT59 E10 T12 E212
— Find Your Station
— Fire Safety
— Medical Emergencies
— Evacuation Info
— Disaster Readiness
— Smoking Violation
— Fire Stat LA
— Los Angeles Community Resource Guide for Immigrant Angelenos