The City of Los Angeles is often referred to as the “Film Capital of the World” due to the number of studios housed within City limits as well as the numerous productions that film in Los Angeles on a daily basis.
The Los Angeles Fire Department, specifically the Film Unit in the Bureau of Fire Prevention and Public Safety, handles all fire and life safety oversight for motion picture and television production studio sound stages, approved production facilities and production locations, and all commercial digital media production conducted within the City of Los Angeles.
LAFD FILM UNIT OVERSIGHT
- Issue special permits for helicopter landings, the use of tents, vehicles on stage, fire performers and open flames, as well as special effects pyrotechnics.
- Inspect all motion picture and television production facilities, all related occupancies on studio property including wood shops, paint shops, spray booths, fiberglass operations, metal shops, theaters, daycare, restaurants, offices, explosive vaults, as well as all new construction on studio lots.
- Review plans for audience shows, fire lanes, set construction, building construction, and helicopter landings, and plans for change-of-use events such as parties, concerts and trade shows.
- Perform walkthroughs at film locations and studios to insure fire/life safety and exiting requirements are enforced.
- Train, test, certify and supervise all Uniform Fire Safety Officers.
- Serve as liaison with the City, County, State, Federal and private agencies in regards to filming, special effects pyrotechnics, studios and related issues.
- Confer, consult and direct FilmLA regarding film location approvals, required Uniform Fire Safety Officers, fire protection, fire lanes and special effects.
- Attend meetings with film industry representatives concerning rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Prepare legal reports for submittal to the City Attorney Office resulting from noncompliance with codes and regulations.
- Application for Special Action or Project Permit (Fillable PDF)
- Fire Safety Inspection Checklist [aka "Spotcheck Inspection Form"] (Fillable PDF)
- Hospital Filming Location Evaluation Report (Fillable PDF)
- Hot Work/Welding Permit Request (Fillable PDF)
- Schools and Churches Pre-Approval Questionnaire (Fillable PDF)
- SPFX Permit Request (Fillable PDF)
- UFSO Direct Pre-Payment (Fillable PDF)
- California Film Commission
- Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety (LADBS)
- Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks - Park Film Office
- LAFD Related Filming Requests
- Los Angeles Unified School District - Filming Permits
- Office of the State Fire Marshal Motion Picture & Entertainment Unit
Codes & Regulations
- Los Angeles Fire Code
- Bleachers & Grandstands (ICC 300 - Standard for Bleachers, Grandstands & Telescopic Seating)
- HONDA EU2000i GENERATOR RECALL - Honda EU2000i generators with serial numbers between EAAJ-2260273 through EAAJ-2485025 are prohibited from use within the City of Los Angeles
Captain I - David Riles
Inspector II – Marvin Anderson
Inspector I – Vince Owens
Inspector I – Carlos Morel
Inspector I – Jabari Jumaane
Inspector I – Jeffrey Hudson
Senior Clerk Typist – Jazmyn Davis
*For filming inquiries regarding the use of LAFD facilities, branding, etc., send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Find Your Station
— Fire Safety
— Medical Emergencies
— Evacuation Info
— Disaster Readiness
— Smoking Violation
— Fire Stat LA
— Los Angeles Community Resource Guide for Immigrant Angelenos