Fire Development Services
CLICK HERE: REQUEST INSPECTION
The primary duties of this Section is to conduct Fire Life Safety Plan Check and Fire Life Safety Inspections interpreting and enforcing applicable standards of the Fire Code, Title 19, Uniform Building Code, City, and National codes concerning new construction and remodeling.
One of the main functions of plan check is to review plans submitted for permits and prepare correction notices and provide information service to the public and City officials regarding safety requirements. Additionally, case managers consult with architects, engineers, and builders regarding all facets of construction and fire safety and meet on a regular basis with the Department of Building and Safety to investigate and approve alternate methods of construction and building materials that are proposed for use in lieu of code requirements.
The Hydrants and Access Unit reviews plans to evaluate site access and hydrant placement. They determine the need for Fire Department access to all structures buildings, and premises throughout the City as well as reviewing existing and proposed public streets, private streets, and fire lanes for adequate width, turn‑a‑rounds, grade, parking restrictions, overhead clearances secondary ingress and egress, load capacity, turning radii, and secured entrances to ensure that response times are not unnecessarily delayed for any of the above reasons.
Hydrants and Access serve as liaison with the City Planning Department to review and make recommendations relating to all land use cases in the City. These include Environmental Impact Reports, Tract Maps, Parcel Maps, and Site Plan Reviews.
- Fire Life Safety Inspection
- Plan Check and/or Permits Fee Schedule
- Off Hours Inspection Fees
- Refund Policy for Cancelled Inspections (pdf)
- Emergency Helicopter Landing Facilities Requirements
- Stairway Sign Placement Requirements
- Policy for Sequence in High Rise Buildings
- LAFD Access Window Standards
- LAFD Street Address Number Guide
- Retroactive Poneting of Commercial Buildings
- LAFD Requirements for Vacated Non-Occupied High Rise Buildings
- LAFD Standard Street Dimensions and Conditions
- Fire Life Safety Plan Check
- Application for Plan Check Form (Fillable PDF)
- Application for Fire Project or Special Permit (Fillable PDF)
- High Rise Retrofit Ordinance #172284
- High Rise Retrofit Ordinance #163836 and #165319
- Plan Review and Inspection Fees
- Adaptive Reuse Ordinance
- Solar Power Use and Placement Requirements
- Strobes-Parking Garage Requirements
- Emergency Lighting Ordinance
- Dorothy Mae Ordinance
- Approval Process for Locking Elevator Lobby Doors
- Wood Roof Guidelines
- Strobes-Fire Alarm Panel Change Out
- LAFD Special Egress Control Device for Bank Occupancies
- Request for Modification of Fire Code Ordinance form
- Requirement #102 - Locking of Stairwell Doors Providing Access to Roof Levels
- Requirement #105 - Two Way Radio Communications Enhancement Systems
- Hazardous Material Form (Fillable PDF)
- Hydrants and Access
ONE STOP PERMIT CENTER
The following Units are located at the City's Construction Services "One-Stop Permit" Center, and are collectively known as LAFD Fire Development Services:
- Building Standards
- New Construction-Inspection
- Hydrants & Access
- Underground Storage Tanks - Plan Check
Collectively, our mission is to provide courteous, timely and quality assistance to persons seeking to develop property within the City of Los Angeles. The responsibilities of each unit are outlined below.
Fire Development Services Unit
- Are responsible for interpreting and enforcing the fire protection and life safety provisions of Titles 19 & 24 of the California Code of Regulations concerning new construction and remodels.
- Review fire and life safety systems for over 10,000 buildings annually.
- Are responsible for pre-development meetings, plan reviews, permit approvals, and field inspections for new construction projects.
- Ensure the consistent application of fire and building codes, starting with plan check and continuing throughout construction.
201 N. Figueroa St., Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Phone: (213) 482-6900
Fax: (213) 482-6922
West LA Office
1828 Sawtelle, 2nd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Van Nuys Office
6262 Van Nuys Blvd., 2nd Floor
Van Nuys, CA 91401
Phone: (818) 374-5005
— Find Your Station
— Fire Safety
— Medical Emergencies
— Evacuation Info
— Disaster Readiness
— Smoking Violation
— Fire Stat LA
— Los Angeles Community Resource Guide for Immigrant Angelenos