Wednesday, November 26, 2014
LAFD Spokesperson: Erik Scott
Did you know? Thanksgiving is the leading day of the year for home fires involving cooking equipment.
Los Angeles Firefighters understand the kitchen is the heart of the home, especially at Thanksgiving. That's why we are stressing the importance of kitchen safety, especially during holidays when there is increased activity and people at home.
It is our hope that the following eight points will help your family enjoy mealtime, while greatly reducing the chances of injury.
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stove-top so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Keep children 3 feet away from the hot stove.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over toys, pocketbooks or bags.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
Nothing saddens a firefighter more than to see a child suffer a needless injury. We know many kids love to be involved in holiday preparations, therefore we encourage having activities that keep children out of the kitchen during this busy time. Games, puzzles or books can keep them engaged, or provide preparations with recipes that can be done outside the kitchen.
Something you may not of thought about...
Ensure a foodborne illness does not become part of your holiday memories. You can download a free kit of food safety tips, about preparing and serving a variety of meats and side dishes during the holidays without spreading foodborne illness.
Of particular concern to firefighters this holiday season is the increased popularity of deep-fried turkey - a meal that can cause backyard chefs to sacrifice safety in the interest of taste.
To assist cooks in their decision to fry turkey safely, please view the following video:
We hope you safely enjoy friends and family, share a good meal, conversation, and laughter.
— Find Your Station
— Fire Safety
— Medical Emergencies
— Evacuation Info
— Disaster Readiness
— Smoking Violation
— Fire Stat LA
— Los Angeles Community Resource Guide for Immigrant Angelenos