Best Essay Competition: All Merit Scholar applicants are required to complete an essay as a part of their Application. In the past, these essays have provided the Selection Committee with critical insight into the lives and ambitions of the applicants and have aided immeasurably in the committee’s efforts to identify the most qualified applicants. In recognition of the time and effort the applicants dedicate to preparing the essays, the Selection Committee has established an additional award for the “Best Essay” of $5,000. The winner need not be selected as a Merit Scholar to win the Best Essay Competition but must submit a completed Application Form to be eligible.
Community Service Award: This award recognizes an applicant for their tremendous effort to selflessly donate their time helping others either locally or abroad. The LAFD Foundation has generously sponsored a $5,000 award for the individual with the most outstanding record of achievement in this area.
INSTRUCTIONS TO MERIT SCHOLAR APPLICANTS
- Application. All applicants are required to complete Sections 1 through 10 of the Merit Scholar Application Form. Please type your information clearly.
- Section 1 requires you to provide some basic information about you and the colleges to which you have applied and your eligibility as a Merit Scholar Applicant.
- Section 2 asks you to list all the Scholarships, Grants, Honors and Awards you have received.
- Section 3 asks you to indicate the various Extracurricular Activities in which you have been involved. The form asks you to indicate your role in these activities, the periods of participation, the amount of time committed. Both sections also require the name and contact information for the individuals who have supervised your participation in these activities.
- Section 4 asks you to indicate the various Community Service Activities in which you have been involved. The form asks you to indicate your role in these activities, the periods of participation, the amount of time committed. Both sections also require the name and contact information for the individuals who have supervised your participation in these activities.
- Section 5 requires that you write an essay on one of the prompts provided.
- Sections 6 and 7 asks you to respond to a few questions about you and your personal opinions. (Sections 6 and 7 together give you your best opportunity to elaborate on some of your experiences and accomplishments, and, more importantly, to describe to the committee which factors you feel have been critical to your motivation and success.)
- Section 8 requires you to submit your standardized test score results.
- Section 9 requires you to provide the names of the individuals that you have asked to supply your letters of recommendation.
- Section 10 requires you and a parent to sign a statement that attests to the accuracy of the information you have provided in your Application and to your intention to enroll in a full-time accredited college program in the upcoming school year.
- School Transcript. Arrange for an official high school transcript to be sent to the address below in Section 4. Applicants who have already enrolled in college should also provide a current college transcript.
- Two Letters of Recommendations and Recommendation (Grid) Form. The people you ask to write recommendations on your behalf should know you well. At least one must be a teacher or counselor, and neither may be a relative. Give each individual who has agreed to write a recommendation for you a copy of the Instructions for Individuals Providing Recommendations and the Recommendation (Grid) Form and a stamped envelope addressed to the location below in number 4.
- Mailing Address. The application, transcript, recommendation letters and verification form all should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
Ms. June Andrade
c/o The LAFD Scholarship Fund
1700 Stadium Way, Suite 101
Los Angeles, California 90012
- Submission Deadline. The deadline for submitting all materials relating to your Application is March 31.
YOUR APPLICATION IS NOT COMPLETE AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED BY THE SELECTION COMMITTEE UNLESS ALL REQUIRED ELEMENTS OF YOUR APPLICATION HAVE BEEN SUBMITTED BY MARCH 31.
- Notification. In April, applicants will be informed of the result of the Selection Committee’s deliberations. Finalists will be asked to schedule an interview with the committee to take place during April or May on a date determined by the committee.
- Selection. Shortly following the completion of these interviews, Merit Scholars and runners-up will be announced.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR INDIVIDUALS PROVIDING RECOMMENDATIONS