Effective 05/04/2022 our PUBLIC ACCESS counter will be open by appointment ONLY. We will still be working remotely part-time, therefore require all inquiries to continue to be submitted electronically. Please check the website(https://www.lafd.org/fire-prevention/chiefs-regulation-4) for ALL updates.
**Effective July 21, 2022 the following are the new prices for applications. Full Price $2022 for initial/addition to certification. Change of Business Affiliation $337.**
For NEW APPLICANTS: You must attend a Mandatory Orientation prior to submission of application effective January 01, 2022.
For RENEWALS: Field observations are required to renew certifications. Applications will only be accepted after field observations have been completed.
A non-refundable service fee will be charged by a third party for each credit/debit card transaction. The service fee will be processed as a separate transaction
Testing of Fire Protection Equipment
The Los Angeles Fire Department is pleased to offer guidance for your testing of Fire Protection Equipment in accordance with Chief's Regulation Number 4.
- List of Currently Certified Chief's Regulation 4 Testers
- Automatic Closing Fire Assemblies Testers
- Automatic Elevator (Phase I & II) Testers
- Automatic Sprinkler Testers
- Basic Fire Alarm Systems Only Testers
- Complex Fire Alarm and Supervising Station Alarm Systems Testers
- Battery Systems Only Testers
- Supervising Station Alarm Testers
- Class I Standpipe Testers
- Class II Standpipe Testers
- Class III Standpipe Testers
- Combined Standpipe and Automatic Sprinkler System Testers
- Elevator Witness Only Testers
- Emergency Generator and Battery Systems Testers
- Fire Escape Assemblies Testers
- Fire Pumps Testers
- Gas Detection Tests
- Mechanical Smoke Proof Enclosures Testers
- Pressurized Stairshaft Testers
- Smoke Evacuation (909/905) Testers
- Highrise Life/Safety Consultant List
- Healthcare Facility Instructor Consultant List
What is the process?
If a Chief's Regulation No. 4 test is required, please contact a certified tester to schedule and perform your test.
- The certified tester must submit the test results on Fire Department approved forms, electronically through the compliance engine at http://www.thecomplianceengine.com within 7 days.
- Repair and Retest: If defects are found in equipment that is being tested, correction on such defects shall commence forthwith and shall be completed as soon as possible, but in every case within 30 days of the initial test. At the completion of such repair, the system or device shall be retested as necessary to determine that it is fully operable.
- For Information on The Compliance Engine (TCE) Please Review
What you need to do to become a Reg 4 Tester!
Please Review Regulations No. 4 prospective applicant letter.
- Which Fire Protection Systems are in your building.
- The date that each system was last tested.
- The testing frequency required for such systems, are outlined below.
Basic Fire Warning Systems - 1 year
Complex Fire Warning Systems - 1 year
Central Station Signaling Systems - 1 year
Smoke Management Systems - 1 year
Elevators, Automatic - 1 year
Emergency Generator and Lighting Systems
All Occupancies - 1 year
Fire Doors: All Types/All Occupancies - 1 year
Fire Escapes - 1 year
Class I Standpipe Systems - 5 years
Class II Standpipe Systems - 5 years
Class III Standpipe Systems - 5 years
Combined Standpipe Systems - 5 years
Class H Standpipe Systems - 5 years
Fire Pumps - 1 year
Automatic Fire Sprinkler Systems - 5 years
Note: Pre-action, Deluge and Dry Pipe Systems are tested annually.
- Pressure Reducing Valves (PRV's)
- Partial Flow - 1 year
- Full Flow - 5 years
Reg 4 Orientation and Exam Schedule
2023 Regulation 4 Schedule
Who do you need to contact?
- LAFD Bureau of Fire Prevention & Public Safety, Chief's Regulation No. 4 Unit
- Your Neighborhood Fire Station Fire Station NON-Emergency Business Phone Numbers
Los Angeles Fire Department
Bureau of Fire Prevention & Public Safety, Chief's Regulation No. 4 Unit
200 North Main Street, Room 1750
Los Angeles, CA 90012 USA
Phone: (213) 978-3560