LOS ANGELES FIRE DEPARTMENT
Special Egress-Control Device for Financial Institutions
This approval waves the sprinkler requirements of Section 91.1004.5 of the CBC in financial occupancies ONLY and does not set precedent for any other occupancies. A modification will be required with the following conditions of approval.
Conditions for approval:
1. At least one conforming means of egress shall be provided. If one means of egress is required from the occupancy, a conforming means of egress shall be provided in addition to the exit with Special Egress-Control Device. If more than one means of egress is required, only one exit may be with a Special Egress-Control Device. All conforming means of egress shall meet the means of egress requirements as outlined in Los Angeles Building Code Section 1001.1.
2. Special Egress-Control Device shall only be utilized on the first story of a building.
3. Special Egress-Control Device shall only be used in tenant spaces where a smoke-detection system is provided throughout the tenant space.
4. If a smoke-detection system does not exist, then a separate electrical permit shall be obtained for the installation of the smoke-detection system in the tenant space. The smokedetection plans must be approved by the Fire Department prior to issuance of the permit.
5. The Special Egress-Control Device shall automatically deactivate upon the loss of electrical power to any one of the following: the device itself, the smoke-detection system, means of egress illumination as required by Section 1003.2.9 of the Los Angeles Building Code.
6. The Special Egress-Control Device shall be capable of being deactivated by a signal from a switch located in approved location. The signal switch shall provide an audible and/or visual signal in the event the device will not allow exiting from the unit.
7. These conditions of approval shall be clearly shown on the approved set of plans.
8. The Special Egress-Control Device and the smoke detection system shall be field tested and approved prior to issuing certificate of occupancy.
9. All electrical components of the Special Egress-Control Device shall be approved by a recognized testing laboratory.
10. An affidavit may be required to be recorded with the County Records acknowledging that this approval is for financial institutions only, and if occupancy use is changed to another use, then the Special Egress-Control Device shall be removed and code conforming exits shall be provided.
— Find Your Station
— Fire Safety
— Medical Emergencies
— Evacuation Info
— Disaster Readiness
— Smoking Violation
— Fire Stat LA
— Los Angeles Community Resource Guide for Immigrant Angelenos