Annual CUPA Permits

Permit Application
All businesses that store, handle or use hazardous materials in reportable quantities, as defined in Chapter 6.95 of Division 20 of the California Health and Safety Code (HSC), must obtain a CUPA Permit. In order to obtain a permit, each business is required to submit a Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) in the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS).

  • To obtain a permit and are not currently permited by LAFD CUPA, please complete your CERS submission. Permits and invoices will be generated and issued based on the Facility Information and Hazardous Material Inventory provided in CERS.
  • Additional permitting requirements may be needed for Hazardous Waste, Underground Storage Tanks, Aboveground Storage Tanks, and CalARP facilities. Specific requirements for those programs can be found via the main page.
  • Ensure that Business Owner information is entered as the LLC or corporation, if applicable. Do not use an individual's name if the business is owned by an LLC or corporation.
  • Billing contact information is where the permit and invoice will be sent. 
  • Hazardous Materials Inventory must be submitted in order for the permit application to be processed. 

Maintaining Your CUPA Permit

  • At a minimum, you will be required to submit or certify your HMBP in CERS annually between January 1st and March 1st. All three sections of the HMBP (Facility Information, Hazardous Materials Inventory, and Emergency Response and Training Plans) must be completed. Mark this deadline on your calendar as you will not be reminded.
  • Your invoice will be mailed and sent out to your business annually once you have completed your HMBP submission in CERS. Once the invoice has been paid, you will receive the permit in the mail which can then be posted at the business.  

Current Permitted List
Current permitted locations and permit status please click HERE

  • If your site shows up as NOT PERMITTED under permit status, fees are likely owed. For questions on paying those fees and obtaining your permit, please contact
  • If your permit status shows suspended, please contact your local inspector for additional information. 

If you have had a CUPA permit in the past and are unable to locate your facility on this list it could be due to the following:

  • Your facility has not been updated on this list. This list is updated on a monthly basis. If you just paid your invoice, please check back the following month.  
  • Your facility was inactivated due to Inspector verification that you are not required to be in the program.
  • Your facility has outstanding invoices that are preventing the permit from being issued. No permit can be issued if you have outstanding fees due. For additional questions about paying outstanding fees, please email
  • Your facility is under formal enforcement. The CUPA is unable to issue annual CUPA permits for locations that have outstanding Class 1 violations or are in formal enforcement. For questions related to outstanding Class 1 violations, please contact your district inspector.  

Permit Inactivation or Change of Ownership

  • If you are looking to inactivate your CUPA permit or have a change of ownership, please email

Locations Out-of-Compliance with CERS Annual Reporting Requirements
To confirm if your location is out-of-compliance with the annual CERS submission requirement, please click HERE.

Hazardous Materials Business Plans are required to be submitted annually by March 1st.  Please utilize the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) to submit business plans.