UST PLAN CHECK IS CURRENTLY LOCATED AT:
200 North Main Street, Suite 1700
Los Angeles, CA 90012
- The Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program administers and enforces Federal and State laws and regulations and local ordinances for the construction/installation, modification, upgrade, and removal of USTs in the City of Los Angeles
- Implemented by Inspectors from the Los Angeles Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau
- Annual inspection of Underground Storage Tanks, monitoring equipment and tank records
- Plan Check and inspection for tank installations, modifications and removals
- Oversight of soils-only contamination cases
- Title 40 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 280
- California Health & Safety Code, Division 20, Chapter 6.7 & 6.75
- California Code of Regulations, Title 23, Chapters 16 & 18
- Los Angeles Municipal Code, Article 7 of Chapter V, Section 120, 5003, & 2301
The Fire Department regulates the construction, operation, repair and removals of underground storage tank (UST) systems. Recent State regulatory changes require additional testing and more frequent inspections at UST facilities. These new regulations require close coordination between inspectors, contractors and the regulated community. The Fire Department assumed responsibilities for UST Programs in 1983.
Inspection and Enforcement
Annual facility inspections are mandated by State law and are performed by Fire Department Inspectors. These inspectors coordinate with UST facilities to schedule inspections when appropriate technical staff is available to inspect monitoring systems and other tank components.
Consolidated Permit Requirements for Underground Storage Tanks (UST)
To legally operate an underground storage tank (UST) in the City of Los Angeles you must be in possession of a valid Consolidated Permit issued by Los Angeles Fire Department CUPA. To receive a Consolidated Permit you must satisfy the following requirement:
- The UST must be inspected by LAFD CUPA Inspectors and there must not be any open violations at the time when permits are issued on October 1st of every other year.
- All required UST testing must be completed by the mandated due date and by approved testers.
- All UST owners and/or operators must electronically submit in the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) a complete UST package between each permitting cycle or any changes to the UST system.
- The Consolidated Permit fees must be paid in full prior to the issuing of the Consolidated Permit.
Failure to obtain a valid Consolidated Permit will result in progressive enforcement that may involve the issuance of penalties and other formal enforcement options.
Plan Check and Inspection for Tank Installation, Modification, and Removal
Plans for installation, modification, and removal of USTs are reviewed by Inspectors at the City's Underground Storage Tank - Plan Check Unit at 200 N. Main Street, 17th Floor, Room 1780. Beginning January 9, 2017, the Los Angeles Fire Department CUPA will be transitioning to an electronic plan check process and will no longer accept permit applications and plans submitted in person. The plan check process overview and requirements and the permit application can be downloaded from the CUPA Documents and Forms
section. Following approval of plans, final field inspection is scheduled with an LAFD Inspector to complete the permit process.
Soil sampling is conducted during many UST procedures and the results of those sampling activities may initiate the Site Assessment process. Contaminated sites are tracked to ensure clean-up and remediation efforts are completed. The Fire Department refers sites with groundwater contamination to the Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control District.
Section 119.2 General Approvals Application
A General approval is required for installation, add/to alter, and removal of Underground Storage Tanks.
Underground Storage Tank Reference Material
LAFD Underground Tanks Request for Fire Prevention Records Guidelines
Please use the Underground Tanks - Request for Fire Prevention Records Form
to request any file search for UNDERGROUND TANKS ONLY. If no files are found we will fax this form back to you with a stamp "NO FILE FOUND". If there is a file, you will be called to set up an appointment to come in and review the file(s). Please remember only five (5) requests per person/company, per day.
PLEASE ALLOW 4 TO 5 BUSINESS DAYS FOR YOUR REQUEST TO BE PROCESSED.
No Copy Service Allowed