LAFD CUPA - ENVIRONMENTAL UNIT IS CURRENTLY LOCATED AT:
200 North Main Street, Suite 1780
Los Angeles, CA 90012
The Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program administers and enforces Federal and State laws and regulations and local ordinances for the construction/installation, modification, upgrade, and removal of USTs. In the City of Los Angeles, the UST Program is implemented by Inspectors from the Los Angeles Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau.
- Annual inspection of Underground Storage Tanks, monitoring equipment and tank records
- Plan Check and inspection for tank installations, modifications and removals
- Oversight of soils-only contamination cases
To legally operate an UST in the City of Los Angeles you must be in possession of a valid Consolidated Permit issued by Los Angeles Fire Department CUPA. To receive a Consolidated Permit you must satisfy the following requirements:
- The UST must be inspected by LAFD CUPA and there must not be any open violations at the time when permits are issued on October 1st of every other year.
- All required UST testing must be completed by the mandated due date and by approved testers.
- All UST owners and/or operators must electronically submit in the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) a complete UST package between each permitting cycle or any changes to the UST system.
- The Consolidated Permit fees must be paid in full prior to the issuing of the Consolidated Permit.
Failure to obtain a valid Consolidated Permit will result in progressive enforcement that may involve the issuance of penalties and other formal enforcement options.
- UST Forms and Documents [under Underground Storage Tanks (UST) section]
- Compliance with Federal UST Regulations (2018)
- UST Abandonment Guidelines
- State Water Board Single-Wall Tank Information
- Title 40 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 280
- California Health & Safety Code, Division 20, Chapter 6.7
- California Code of Regulations, Title 23, Chapters 16
- Los Angeles Municipal Code, Article 7 of Chapter V, Section 120, 5003, & 2301