LAFD CUPA - ENVIRONMENTAL UNIT IS CURRENTLY LOCATED AT:
200 North Main Street, Suite 1780
Los Angeles, CA 90012
The Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program administers and enforces Federal and State laws and regulations and local ordinances for the construction/installation, modification, upgrade, and removal of USTs. In the City of Los Angeles, the UST Program is implemented by Inspectors from the Los Angeles Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau.
- Annual inspection of Underground Storage Tanks, monitoring equipment and tank records
- Plan Check and inspection for tank installations, modifications and removals
- Oversight of soils-only contamination cases
The Fire Department regulates the construction, operation, repair and removals of UST systems. Recent State regulatory changes require additional testing and more frequent inspections at UST facilities. These new regulations require close coordination between inspectors, contractors and the regulated community. The Fire Department assumed responsibilities of the UST Program in 1983.
Inspection and Enforcement
Annual facility inspections are mandated by State law and are performed by Fire Department Inspectors. These inspectors coordinate with UST facilities to schedule inspections when appropriate technical staff is available to inspect monitoring systems and other tank components.
Consolidated Permit Requirements for USTs
To legally operate an UST in the City of Los Angeles you must be in possession of a valid Consolidated Permit issued by Los Angeles Fire Department CUPA. To receive a Consolidated Permit you must satisfy the following requirements:
- The UST must be inspected by LAFD CUPA and there must not be any open violations at the time when permits are issued on October 1st of every other year.
- All required UST testing must be completed by the mandated due date and by approved testers.
- All UST owners and/or operators must electronically submit in the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) a complete UST package between each permitting cycle or any changes to the UST system.
- The Consolidated Permit fees must be paid in full prior to the issuing of the Consolidated Permit.
Failure to obtain a valid Consolidated Permit will result in progressive enforcement that may involve the issuance of penalties and other formal enforcement options.
Plan Check and Inspection for Tank Installation, Modification, and Removal
Plans for installation, modification, and removal of USTs are reviewed by Inspectors. Project permits are submitted electronically. Following approval of plans, final field inspection is scheduled with an LAFD Inspector to complete the permit process.
Attention: Our department is currently revamping our UST Plan Check process. We are working hard on improving user experience and we appreciate your patience as we work through improving our process. Please allow an additional 2-4 weeks for processing time. Thank you.
State Compliance Testing and Repair Notification System
Soil sampling is conducted during many UST procedures and the results of those sampling activities may initiate the Site Assessment process. Contaminated sites are tracked to ensure clean-up and remediation efforts are completed. The Fire Department refers sites with groundwater contamination to the Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control District.
Fire Code Section 119.2 General Approval Application
A general approval is required for installation, modification and removal of USTs.
UST Reference Material
- Title 40 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 280
- California Health & Safety Code, Division 20, Chapter 6.7 & 6.75
- California Code of Regulations, Title 23, Chapters 16 & 18
- Los Angeles Municipal Code, Article 7 of Chapter V, Section 120, 5003, & 2301
Request for UST Records Guidelines
Please use the UST Request for Fire Prevention Records Form to request any file search for UNDERGROUND TANKS ONLY. If no files are found we will send this form back to you marked "NO FILE FOUND". If there is a file, you will be called to set up an appointment to come in and review the file(s). Please remember only five (5) requests per person/company, per day.
PLEASE ALLOW 4 TO 5 BUSINESS DAYS FOR YOUR REQUEST TO BE PROCESSED.
No Copy Service Allowed.