Los Angeles Firefighters Extinguish 62 Acre Brush Fire Above Lake View Terrace

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Your Los Angeles Firefighters remained very busy battling three brush fires over an 18 hour period. Starting with a 28 acre fire above Porter Ranch, at Southern California Gas Co.'s Aliso Canyon facility. Next another San Fernando Valley fire in Granada Hills broke out. Then,  just a hour later firefighters battled the Lake View Terrace blaze.

Amid a red-flag warning and increased heat, Los Angeles firefighters responded Wednesday afternoon to a brush fire that quickly threatened homes in Lake View Terrace.

The LAFD received multiple 911 calls just after 2:30 p.m. for a fire at 11700 Terra Vista Way.

Firefighters arrived on-scene to find flames spreading rapidly up the canyon, leading to the Angeles National Forest and San Gabriel Mountain foothills, and diligently protected homes along Terra Vista Way as smoke poured down a dry hillside into the neighborhood.

Twenty homes were under a voluntary evacuation order (West of Little Tujunga/Osborne, North of Eldridge Ave, West of Terra Bella St, North of Fenton Ave), however due to firefighters aggressive actions, no homes were damaged and no one was injured.

During the firefight the temperature was 89 degrees, relative humidity was down to 9 percent, and north-to-northeast winds gusted to 26 mph.

Firefighters relentlessly battled the blaze from the ground and air. Multiple helicopters and a fix winged Super Scooper made repeated strategic water drops while crews hiked the rugged terrain to flank and pinch out the flames.

About 450 firefighters from L.A. City, County and the U.S. Forest Service responded, extinguishing 62 scorched acres in just two hours. Approximately 50 Los Angeles Police Department officers also assisted.

Four Engines and two Brush Patrols, totaling twenty firefighters, will remain on-scene through out the night mopping up hot spots and ensuring no flare-ups. Fresh crews will arrive at 8:00 AM the next morning.

The cause of the fire remains under active investigation.

Share this