MERIT SCHOLAR AWARD
Best Essay Competition. All Merit Scholar applicants are required to complete an essay as a part of their Application. In the past, these essays have provided the Selection Committee with critical insight into the lives and ambitions of the applicants and have aided immeasurably in the committee’s efforts to identify the most qualified applicants. In recognition of the time and effort the applicants dedicate to preparing the essays, the Selection Committee has established an additional award for the “Best Essay” of $2,500 funded by The Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation. The winner need not be selected as a Merit Scholar to win the Best Essay Competition, but must submit a completed Application Form to be eligible.
INSTRUCTIONS TO MERIT SCHOLAR APPLICANTS
- Application. All applicants are required to complete Pages 1 through 7 of the Merit Scholar Application Form. Please type your information clearly.
- Page 1 requires you to provide some basic information about you and the colleges to which you have applied and your eligibility as a Merit Scholar Applicant. Specifically, you and a parent are required to sign a statement that attests to the accuracy of the information you have provided in your Application and to your intention to enroll in a full-time accredited college program in the upcoming school year.
- Page 2 asks you to list all the Scholarships, Grants, Honors and Awards you have received.
- Page 3 asks you to indicate the various extracurricular activities in which you have been involved and requires the contact information for the individuals who have supervised your participation in these activities.
- Pages 4,5 and 6 require that you write an essay and respond to a few questions about you and your personal opinions. This section of the application is your opportunity to elaborate on some of your experiences and accomplishments, but, more importantly, to describe to the committee which factors you feel have been critical to your motivation and success.
- Page 7 requires you to submit your standardized test score results as well as the names of the individuals that you have asked to supply your letters of recommendation.
- School Transcript. Arrange for an official high school transcript to be sent to the address below in Section 4. Applicants who have already enrolled in college should also provide a current college transcript.
- Two Letters of Recommendations and Recommendation (Grid) Form. The people you ask to write recommendations on your behalf should know you well. At least one must be a teacher or counselor, and neither may be a relative. Give each individual who has agreed to write a recommendation for you a copy of the “INSTRUCTIONS FOR INDIVIDUALS PROVIDING RECOMMENDATION” along with a copy of the “RECOMMENDATION (GRID) FORM” and a stamped envelope addressed to the location below in Section 4.
- Mailing Address. The application, transcript, recommendation letters and verification form all should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
Ms. June Andrade
c/o The LAFD Scholarship Fund
1700 Stadium Way, Suite 101
Los Angeles, California 90012
- Submission Deadline. The deadline for submitting all materials relating to your Application is March 30.
YOUR APPLICATION IS NOT COMPLETE AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED BY THE SELECTION COMMITTEE UNLESS ALL REQUIRED ELEMENTS OF YOUR APPLICATION HAVE BEEN SUBMITTED BY MARCH 30.
- Notification. In April, applicants will be informed of the result of the Selection Committee’s deliberations. Finalists will be asked to schedule an interview with the committee to take place during April or May on a date determined by the committee.
- Selection. Shortly following the completion of these interviews, Merit Scholars and runners-up will be announced.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR INDIVIDUALS PROVIDING RECOMMENDATIONS
— Find Your Station
— Fire Safety
— Medical Emergencies
— Evacuation Info
— Disaster Readiness
— Smoking Violation
— Fire Stat LA
— Los Angeles Community Resource Guide for Immigrant Angelenos